Parishioners at St Mary Queen of Heaven in Georges Hall have rallied around a mother and her three children after their home was destroyed by fire.
P Nuch O’Mara and her three children, Guy, Brianna and Emmert, returned from holiday to find their home had been engulfed in flames on Friday, with nothing salvageable.
The Catholic Weekly understands that the family lost everything in the blaze, including their clothes, appliances and family memorabilia, leaving them only the clothes they were wearing.
At the time of the fire, parish priest Fr Joseph Kolodziej was on the road, responding to a call from a nearby nursing home, when he was stopped by a police blockade near the O’Mara’s address.
Speaking to The Catholic Weekly earlier today, Fr Joseph said that the parish and the parish school, St Mary’s Catholic Primary, had acted as one community in helping to support the family.
A fundraising video night has been organised for 6.30pm this Friday after a quick round of phone calls between parish councillors.
Parents from the school have donated prizes for a raffle, and the school is assisting in other ways.
Fr Joseph, who has been parish priest of Georges Hall for the past 12 years, said that the principal of St Mary’s Catholic Primary, Maureen Jones, was spearheading the assistance.
“We have a very beautiful community here,” Fr Joseph said.
“We support (one another) in moments of problems.”
Ms O’Mara is understood to be a dedicated volunteer for the Thai community, helping out at numerous charity functions.
At the time of publishing, donations to a gofundmepage had already been received from 49 individuals and organisations, including BTCL Thai School, Sydney, and the Bhuddaransee Temple in Stanmore.
The gofundme page can be accessed at www.gofundme.com/help-the-omara-family